Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Israeli Trail Mix

The bus stops. The lights come on. “Ok we are here. Go pee if you have to. I think it costs 2 shekels. See the two headed snake and the tiger if its not sleeping and be back on the bus in 15 minutes.” What? I was sleeping but I know I heard 2 headed snake and tiger. Where the fuck are we? When I stepped of off the bus it was like I entered half freak show, half Pee Wee’s Great Adventure set. Israel isn’t really known for it’s roadside attractions but this place was something special. Brian put it the best, Israel’s south of the border. I go to take a piss, by the was the 2 shekels was just a request; I didn’t feel apt to donate because I just took a quick pee in the urinal, no flush required. I then found myself wandering into this area of the park where there was a weird ferris wheel that looked more like a torture device then a children’s ride, a fan boat from hell and some sort of snake exhibit. Next to the snake exhibit was a dispenser that was filled with some sort of snake food pellets. Then it occurred to me, I bet I can trick someone into eating the snake food. I pulled out my pocket full of coins trying to find one that would fit into this coin slot. Finally I found one, a golden 1/10 of a shekel coin and with my handful of snake nuggets the prank had begun. I planned to tell so gullible sap that it was Israeli Trail Mix I purchased at the gas station a while back. All I needed was a target. Since it was quite early in the trip I didn’t think it would be wise to prank someone I didn’t know all that well so I defaulted to Noam. I thought this was going to be easy, but I was so damn tired and this idea was so ridiculous that I couldn’t even walk over to him without laughing. I completely ruined my chance. So Aaron took over and tried to prank Phillip. He did a lot better then me but not good enough. Phillip didn’t let that stuff got past his nose. And when he yelled out this the snake food it was over, I never laughed so hard. We failed miserably and we didn’t even get to see the 2 headed snake or the tiger. This whole trip was doomed to be a failure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi David,

This is Marina (the girl that provided the crazy Ukrainian music on one of the many of the unsual nights in Israel).

I just got done reading your Israel stories, and i wanted to say that i haven't laughed this hard in a while. Granted, i am alone in my apartment and i was laughing out loud (almost woke up the neighboors).

I found this very funny and a great summary of the trip. As i was reading, i started remembering little details that i already forgot. Thanks for posting this!


Marina