Sunday, July 18, 2010

Getting Your Zlotes Worth

Last night was my first opportunity to meet the naive Poles. Sleep deprived and exhausted from yesterday I went outside the hotel in search of a wifi connection. Sitting on the steps of a cafe down the street I was intercepted by several trip participants who extended offers for night activities. I turned down the walk to the castle, a night at the jazz club, but when our trip cameraman asked me to join him and his new friends for a shot in the bar next door, I couldn't refuse. The bar was jumping with excitement. I joined the table and was introduced to two Poles who use to live in Michigan, a gap toothed Frenchman who spent the night trying to kiss the cute Michigander and aAussie in a big heavy turtleneck. We drank honey vodka at 3 zlotes a shot, 75 cents US. Old Polish music and Michael Jackson played on the radio. Ben, the camera man asked the Michiganders to asked these two cute Polish girls sitting in the corner to join our table. I might have forgot their names and accidentally deleted their email addresses from my phone, so for all intensive purposes i will refer to them as the blonde and the redhead. We were the first Americans they met. The redhead, Justinya, I believe that would be the correct spelling based on the possible pronunciation, had just move to Krackow, when I say just moved she hadn't been in the country for more then 3 hours. She was a very warm, kind hearted person and we talked for an hour or two about history and our families between shots of honey vodka. She reminded me of my cousin Lisa. She and her friend were very interested to hear about the purpose of our trip and were eager to announce they have "Jewish blood."

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1QxR0AEmAMdBPR7Dc1ig-5b55Uk_OurWB

You are all Jewish they asked? I was taken aback by their question. I realized they are so use to people claiming some Jewish ancestor, but any if not all details are fuzzy. Yes, 100% Jewish I said, from my mother and father, to great grandmother and father, I can trace my heritage back to a rabbinic dynasty. I noticed from their expressions that this was incomprehensible. We left the bar in search of Zapikanka, a weird flatbread stouffers like pizza with ketchup sauce. On the way the redhead told me how she rarely wears shoes in her home town. We decided to take off our sneakers and walk barefoot. We both wanted to feel the streets of Krackow. It was wonderful. The food stand was closed and the redhead collapsed with exhaustion. After a long hug we said our goodbyes. The remaining three of us decided we couldn't end the night on an empty stomach so we walked to a 24 hour pirogi place. We downed the polish equivalent of drunk food and I decided it was time for me to finally call it a day, at least for the next 4 hours before the sun rises and we depart for good. The drive to the mountains was peaceful. On the way we made a quick food and relaxation stop. I walked through a beautiful town square with my friend Ivy. Food was not her priority and she convinced me to climb up the large cathedrals tower which overlooks the whole region. It was beautiful. I saw the Carpathians which we would hike later that day. Inside the church I explained to Ivy why the Jews did not build synagogues which rival these cathedrals beauty. Several hours later we were in the mountains. We checked into our brand new hotel spa and went for a short home through the Sudetenland. We were greeted at the hotel by our chefs who prepared a delicious Mediterranean meal and a hotel band playing Polish poka music. I felt like I was on a cruise and finally got some much deserved rest.

No comments: