Sunday, July 01, 2012

An official Nonresident Visitor visits The Shenzhen Foreign Language School


Dan took us to Starbucks. He said its the only place you can buy coffee that is around. Starbucks is a status symbol in China, people carry the paper cup in the same manner as which both men and women dangle Gucci and Prada bags to show off to others. The women are all using umbrellas to block the sun even though they walk in the shade. I saw a girl in 6 inch heels walking her dog by the paws, at if she was walking a small child. The pooch hobbled on two feet. I wish I took a picture. We waited for the police station to open. Ruby, a girl who works at Dan's school came to help with the paperwork and to sign as our Chinese host.  At the station, I made one typo on the nonresident visitor form and had to rewrite the whole damn thing. It seems crossing out is a big no no. A women at the hair salon across the street watched over a dog that looked like Fassi The Bear. Many cute dogs in China.  None of which are on leashes.  We then took a taxi to the school Dan teaches at. The taxi had belts but no buckles and the coast was littered with cranes and storage containers for export. Dan gives directions to the driver in Chinese. I have no idea if he speaks correctly or not, but I notice many of the words he is using are the same.  Shenzhen Foreign Language School is a boarding school with an AP program to prepare students for american colleges. 


The teachers have their resumes and pictures on the walls next to posters of all the American ivy league universities. The school is impressive in size and facilities. Mike and I had the chance to ask and answer questions to three of his 11th grade classes. Many of the students were shy and did not make a significant effort to ask questions. The students that did said some very interesting and humorous things.  My favorite was " Given the Chinese stereotypes I described (Chinese are geeks and nerds, and are more quiet then other nationalities) wouldn't you rather go somewhere else, like Africa, where people are louder and are always dancing?" The students seemed to have a much different world view, concept of travel and I believe more pessimistic view of their country as compared to which China is admired and often feared in the US. Dan said that travel in China is either out of necessity or to experience an elevation of life style, the China only travel to areas up on the economic ladder. His students didn't relate to his desire to travel to Mongolia last summer. 

Towards the end o class with is acknowledged with relaxing chinese transient music, students asked me to come back to school tomorrow to see them do their communal calisthenics.  Dan informed them that we would have other plans but I mentioned that I've seem this one YouTube. "YouTube, we don't get that her," said a frowny faced girl. Oh yea, I've heard about that.  I'll be using a VPN service that costs about $60 a year to bypass the Great Fire Wall.  At the end of class, after avoiding only 1 sensitive and politically inappropriate question Dan informed me not to pursue, the students all perked up with excitement to have their picture taken with me.  The free cafeteria lunch was also real highlight and very tasty. Afterwards, I  got my hands on more gift tea from Dan, this time Good Taste, Good Life green tea, free and gifted from parents during his end of the year parent meeting. The school office is overflowing with gifts of tea and boxes of lychees. Teaching here seems like a really good gig, smart and capable students, a salary that surpasses NYC and a drastically lower cost of living.

No comments: