Thursday, July 12, 2012

Big Fan of Big Fans


Finally some touristy stuff, I was starting to feel as if I came to china to live here. Before departing Guangzhou back to Shenzhen we visited the Peasant Resistance Center, the location in which Mao and other leaders established their school to train communist revolutionaries. The historical site was beautiful and the modern condos to each side of the site created a surreal background to the experience. Then we visited the orchid gardens which lacked in orchids but was a beautiful large scale Chinese garden. The feeling of the site really isn't comparable to their American counterparts. Asian gardens need to be experienced in Asia for the true authentic experience with weird noisy frogs and Chinese landscapers with hedge clippers and bamboo brooms. 


The garden resulted in some serious picture taking opportunities. At night after dinner near Dan's apartment Mike and I surprised Dan by buying and setting up a desperately needed shoe rack near the doorway. Dan receives love via acts of kindness like retrieving beers, cooking and general cleaning/organization of his apartment and it was a small way we could return the kindness he has shown us through our time in China. I also bought a few beautiful wooden foldable fans. Kristy, Dan's girlfriend laughed at me when I wanted to bring one with me when we left the apartment for some street snacks. These are for decoration, she said. I thought the large capacity of wind this fan would creat was preferable to me and all around me as compared to the small dinky ones. Anyways, I was told fans were for girls and if i did that in the bar yesterday i would have been beaten. Kristy and Desire told me that they would snatch the thing out of my hand before I could open it and enjoy its beautiful and refreshing function. People are always raining on my parade. I still I love my fans :)


No comments: