Sunday, July 08, 2012

How to create a student cell phone dead zone, step 1, to go China



More shopping took place today but instead of the previous flea market like setting we went to a western looking mall at the Louhu Commercial Center. But don't be fooled, even in this setting, bargaining is a must. With the help of Kristy we were able to by 3 Chinese style outfits for less then the starting price they were asking for one. Kristy pulled out her mobile and phoned a friend before completing the transaction.

Image result for chinese cell phone jammers

Her brother and cousin also own a store in the mall in which we were tested to a deluxe shipping experience in which Mike bought like half a dozen polo shirts and I bought I for 50 qui or 6 bucks. Even brands they don't sell in china have labels on knock off clothing. You can buy shirts that say GAP, even though there is no GAP and I don't think the Chinese know anything about the GAP as a clothing store.  We also checked out cell phone frequency blockers which are illegal to sell in the US. It was my hope that I could use one of these little devices to refocus and torment my students :) unfortunately although the device worked perfectly well on older bands it seemed as if it was ineffective for 3G so I decide against the purchase. After shopping we ate a remarkably delicious meal which I was told was north west in style. We were served freshly cut tofu, a really fresh and simple soup of Harry vegetables, tasty grilled meats among other delicacies like a western style salad with greens that tasted like arugula. 

This is my favorite style of food and it seems like the Chinese arent always fans of the oily Hunan cooking that is often eaten in Shenzhen. At night we went back to Coco Park for another round of drinking and dancing, yada yada yada. Girls get tree free drinks which is a sweet deal. They get 3 free more if that wash their hand stamps off with hot water. When I came back to the table from dancing I found that the pizza I ordered was completely gone and the girls feeling do bad suggested we go get some street food. On the way their I twisted my ankle. This happens about once a year. I was carried to a little stool and finally fed my first street food cuisine. You can get just about anything grilled on the street from oysters to mushrooms on big skewers up until like 5 am. The food was delicious and my foot appears to be recovering nicely.

No comments: